For Close the Gap, it is very important to liaise with the United Nations on ICT4Dev. Close the Gap has been recognised as a United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) signatory and is a member of the United Nations Global Alliance for ICT and Development (UN GAID). Since 2010, Close the Gap has also been a member of the United Nations Department of Public Information (UNDPI).
The UN GAID is a global forum that comprehensively addresses cross-cutting issues related to ICT and development. UN GAID wants to create an open and inclusive platform that could broaden the dialogue on innovative ways of harnessing ICT for advancing development. To accomplish this, UN GAID mainstreams the global ICT agenda into the broader United Nations agenda.
All UN GAID members are committed to the following ideals:
- Demonstrate leadership by advancing universal access to ICT.
- Raise the awareness of policy-makers on ICT 4 Development issues.
- Facilitate identification of technological solutions for specific development goals.
- Produce practical solutions, share best practices and knowledge to bridge the digital divide.
- Engage in policy dialogues around specific topics of mutual interest put forward for discussion.
- Share innovative business models for pro-poor investment, economic growth and empowerment of people living in poverty.