What is the D4D-Be platform?
Initiated by the Belgian Development cooperation (DGD), the Digital for Development platform, was launched in September 2017. It is coordinated by Agoria and Close the Gap. Its focus is to bring all actors of development together by creating and facilitating an eco-system for all stakeholders, existing projects and opportunities using digital in development cooperation. Ultimate goal is to build a bridge between the Belgian private sector and the development sector in realizing the Sustainable Development Goals and create new partnerships. The D4D platform is in continuation of the strategic policy note on Digital for Development (D4D-Be) for the Belgian development cooperation.
Who is D4D-Be intended for?
Potential partners interested in D4D-Be: Government and non-governemental actors, companies from the private sector, academia and research groups, civil society representatives, informal groups or networks
- Close Partners: Start-up.be, Educaid, BecauseHealth, The Shift, be-troplive, BTC, VLIR-UOS
- Coordinators: Agoria & Close The Gap
What will D4D-Be include?
In order to create this eco-system and nurture potential partnerships, our program will include a mix of offline events that will offer traditional networking opportunities but also explore different collaboration methodologies with the support of an underlying comprehensive online platform.
- Online platform: to be launched on Nov 20 featuring best practices, new opportunities, and collaboration workspaces
- Event “Kickoff Digital for Development: Igniting partnerships” (AGENDA) on Monday, November 20, 2017, presenting and effectively starting the program with, among others, concrete pitches – Register here>
- Mission “Silicon Savannah” to Kenya, March 20 – 23, 2018: Providing the opportunity for start-ups and other private sector companies to learn from the Kenya start-up eco-system and market opportunity
- Power luncheons @Agoria and elsewhere: Small ideation and working luncheons to enable partnerships
- Closing event, TBD
Close the Gap and Agoria will organize a Kickoff Digital for Development: Igniting partnerships event to take place on Monday, November 20 from 1 to 5pm. Along Minister De Croo, who will honor us with his presence and present his vision on the platform, we will organize very concrete pitches.
- On the one hand, there will be private sector companies, who have an interest in making a sustainable impact in Africa with disruptive digital technologies and/or are interested in the booming African market. We are indeed very interested to hear about which expertise or digital theme (ex: big data, artificial intelligence, drones, e-agriculture, blockchain, app development, cloud computing, industry 4.0, e-payment, e-governance, e-health, e-learning, e-literacy/digital literacy, e-participation, e-skills, e-waste, etc) that could be made available to support some concrete projects.
- On the other hand, we will have actors in development cooperation who will share specific needs that could be addressed with digitalization (not a financial support). We are indeed very interested to hear concrete problems in all different domains (health, education, governance, trade, agriculture, transport, etc) that are encountered locally anywhere in Africa and that could be potentially addressed with, among others, a digital solution.
Are you interested to pitch during 2-3 minutes? Please contact Julie de Bergeyck at +32474 997116. Limited number of slots are available, so please respond fast.